California Attorney General Rob Bonta led a coalition of twenty-two AGs and four California cities in submitting comments to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in support of the agency’s proposal to repeal the Trump-era Preemption Rule, which revoked a legal waiver that allowed CA to craft its vehicle emissions standards. In the comments, the AGs stated that NHTSA needed to repeal the Preemption Rule because the agency lacked the authority to enact it in the first place and the rule was unprecedented and an unwarranted attack on California’s and other states’ laws that protect their residents from the effects of air pollution and climate change.
- Documents: CommentsCA Press Release
- Document Type: Comment Letters
- States: California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Hawaii Illinois Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Nevada New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina Oregon Pennsylvania Vermont Washington Washington, D.C. Wisconsin
- Agencies: Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Issues: Clean Car Standards
- Era: Biden Administration
- Action Type: Rulemaking