California Attorney General Rob Bonta and New York Attorney General Letitia James led 19 attorneys general in comments on the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) supplemental proposal to strengthen standards reducing greenhouse gas emissions and other air pollutants from the oil and natural gas sector, including by adding methane emissions standards for existing facilities. The AGs offered several ways EPA could further strengthen the regulations and better protect communities, such as by requiring a faster repair time for methane leaks in overburdened communities, prohibiting routine gas flaring except as necessary for safety or emergencies, and considering how to maximize community participation in the agency’s response program for super-emitters, among other things.
- Documents: CommentsME Press ReleaseMD Press ReleaseMI Press ReleaseIL Press Release
- Document Type: Comment Letters Press Releases/Statements
- States: California Colorado Connecticut Delaware Illinois Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota New Mexico New York North Carolina Oregon Pennsylvania Vermont Washington Washington, D.C. Wisconsin
- Agencies: Environmental Protection Agency
- Issues: Clean Air & Climate Clean Air Act Climate Environmental Justice Fossil Fuels Greenhouse Gas Emissions Methane Oil and Gas Public Health
- Era: Biden Administration
- Action Type: Rulemaking & Other Federal Administrative Proceedings