New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas submitted comments calling on the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to help New Mexico residents recover from the extremely destructive Hermit’s Peak and Calf Canyon wildfires, which was caused by a mismanaged intentional fire by the U.S. Forest Service. In the comments, AG Balderas urged FEMA to address aspects of its Hermit’s Peak/Calf Canyon Fire Assistance Act Regulations that have hindered federal assistance, including “concerns with FEMA’s appointed claims manager, limitations on damages, and the lack of a clear appellate process,” according to the AG’s press release.
- Documents: LetterNM Press Release
- Document Type: Non-rulemaking Letters Press Releases/Statements
- States: New Mexico
- Agencies: Department of Homeland Security Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Issues: Climate Adaptation & Resilience Climate Resilience Natural & Climate Disasters Public Health
- Era: Biden Administration
- Action Type: Other