Fourteen AGs Filed Comments on USDA’s Child Nutrition Programs
MAY 10, 2023
New York Attorney General Letitia James led a coalition of 14 attorneys general in filing comments to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) on the agency’s “Child Nutrition
Programs: Revisions to Meal Patterns Consistent With the 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans” proposed rule, which would updated federal nutrition standards for school breakfasts and lunches. The AGs called on USDA to further reduce the maximum sodium levels that the rule sets for daily school meals, pointing to research about the effect of excessive sodium intake. The AGs also urged USDA to streamline the process for providing substitute milks to make it less burdensome for schools to accommodate children with special dietary needs.
- Documents: CommentsCA Press Release
- Document Type: Comment Letters Press Releases/Statements
- States: California Connecticut Delaware Illinois Maryland Massachusetts Minnesota Nevada New Jersey New Mexico New York Oregon Vermont Washington, D.C.
- Agencies: Department of Agriculture
- Issues: Public Health
- Era: Biden Administration
- Action Type: Rulemaking & Other Federal Administrative Proceedings