California Attorney General Xavier Becerra led a coalition of four attorneys general in submitting a comment letter to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) condemning the bureau’s draft environmental assessment of the federal coal leasing program. The attorneys general noted that the environmental assessment violates a court order requiring BLM to complete its “hard look” requirements under the National Environmental Policy Act prior to lifting an Obama-era moratorium on new coal leasing on federal lands. The AGs noted that the federal coal leasing program has a significant impact on the environment and requires the in-depth analysis of a draft environmental impact statement, as well as a full notice-and-comment period as required by the Administrative Procedure Act.
- Documents: CommentsCA Press Release
- Document Type: Comment Letters Press Releases/Statements
- States: California New Mexico New York Oregon
- Agencies: Bureau of Land Management Department of the Interior
- Issues: Clean Air & Climate Climate Coal Cross-Cutting & Administrative Fossil Fuels Greenhouse Gas Emissions National Environmental Policy Act Public Health Public Lands Public Lands & Wildlife Public Lands Leasing
- Era: Trump Administration
- Action Type: Rulemaking & Other Federal Administrative Proceedings