New York Attorney General Letitia James led a coalition of 17 AGs, as well as Harris County, Texas, in sending comments urging EPA’s Office of Emergency Management to strengthen its proposal around regulating facilities that run the risk of releasing hazardous substances into nearby bodies of water. The coalition urges EPA to widen the criteria for determining which facilities pose a threat and provide guidance to facilities on how to incorporate climate impacts into response plans. The comments also call on EPA to strengthen the environmental justice aspects of the regulations by flagging facilities that are located near EJ communities and putting a list of these facilities online so that communities can be aware of the risk.
- Documents: Comment
- Document Type: Comment Letters
- States: Colorado Connecticut Delaware Illinois Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota New Jersey New York Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island Washington Washington, D.C. Wisconsin
- Agencies: Environmental Protection Agency
- Issues: Clean Water Climate Adaptation & Resilience Climate Liability Environmental Justice Safety & Toxics Toxics
- Era: Biden Administration
- Action Type: Environmental Enforcement